- as leading system for automation design and implementation
- as subordinate system with high integration possibilities
Don´t get me wrong, you can integrate your ESX/ESXi host-systems in an automated way also without the Cisco USC Plug-in but if you have Cisco hardware the deployment is much more comfortable because of using the UCS API. Here are some examples from the release notes:
- Application of a service profile to a UCS blade
- Cloning a service profile template to a service profile
- Service profile customization of frequently modified components
- Import and export of service profiles from and to UCS Manager instances
As you can see the service definition is also available for the cloud infrastructure and allows you to definine service levels and tiers in an automated way.
Based on the HTTP POST method the integration of Cisco UCS Manager looks like:
With this method the Cisco UCS Manager XML API maps the objects with their attributes and functions in the vCenter Orchestrator.
In the Plug-in packages are also several example workflows and actions to automate an existing environment in a fast and comfortable way.
I hope that we now can address a wider audience to automate and orchestrate their cloud infrastructure.
Download Cisco UCS Plug-in: VMware vCenter Orchestrator Plug-in for Cisco UCS 1.0
Release Notes: VMware vCenter Orchestrator Plug-In for Cisco UCS Manager 1.0 Release Notes